Thinking back over my fifty-six years of the most precious gift called life, I am not able to recall a time when I did not believe that God is God and there is no other. Though I had never read the Bible, I simply accepted in child-like faith that all of creation was ruled by God.
Clearly, according to the Gospel, this was not a faith unto salvation through the blood of Jesus Christ; however, it is true that I simply believed… (1)
God is God and there is no other.
As a child who had not read the Bible and had rarely attended church, how is it that I could have such a simple faith in God and His Sovereignty?
What a great question! And it is one that I have been pondering for longer than anyone cares to know. As I have been asking the Lord to reveal to me what He wants me to know, below are just a few of the highlights.
I pray these concepts of relationship are an encouragement to you as you live among people of all ages and backgrounds who may have never read the Bible and have rarely if ever attended a Christian church. I hope we all get to be one or more of these in someone’s life.
- My parents believed in God, and they told me from my earliest memory that “we, as a family” believe in God.
- All of my grandparents shared with me their belief in God in their own unique ways of simply living.
- Grandfathers whistled, hummed and sang hymns as they took me along to the garden, to fish and fry the catch later on. They taught practical lessons of accountability and responsibility.
- Grandmothers prayed with me. They sang children’s songs containing the message that Jesus loves me and all the little children of the world. Bible stories were read, while rocking on grandma’s lap.
- Through each of their voices, I heard their belief and reverence toward The one true and great God.
- A family friend asked if she could take me to Vacation Bible School when I was nine years old.
- My Dad set an example of authority and discipline in our family, and my Mom backed him up. My parents taught the golden rule of treating others the way I wanted to be treated, and they exemplified loving their neighbor.
Beyond these real life examples of Jesus with skin on, God met me regularly as a child in places and ways I could understand. He met me in my dreams at night and revealed His greatness and presence as Ruler over all. I just knew, as a child simply believes, that God was speaking to me in dreams and in places which could only have been created by a Sovereign Hand.
Later, as an adult I was overwhelmed with gratitude to find those words, which the Lord had tenderly, but firmly spoken into my dreams and thoughts, written in black and white for me to read in the Bible.
God is God, and there is no other.
(1) John 14:6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”
2 thoughts on “No Other”
Thank you for sharing these precious glimpses into the drawing and wooing of our Father’s heart! What an encouragement, as I pray for so many now. He sees and He calls, for there is No Other!
I actually had you in mind Bettie, and other friends who are grandparents and mentors to the younger generations.💕
Comments are closed.